Are you at risk for oral cancer? The truth is any one could develop the sometimes fatal disease. April is Oral Cancer Awareness month and Dr. Hildreth and Dr. Mulkey of Lost Mountain Dental at Due West encourage all patients to get screened. Our Marietta, GA dentist office provides oral cancer screenings during every oral health exam.
Oral Cancer : The Facts
- Nearly 50,000 Americans a year will be affected by oral cancer
- Oral cancer is most common in patients over 50
- Oral cancer has been found in patients as young as in their 20s
- Men are twice as likely to get oral cancer than women
- HPV, Human Papillomavirus, is linked to increased rates of oral cancer
- Smoking, vaping or chewing tobacco can increase your likelihood of developing oral cancer
- Oral cancer is often fatal due to late term diagnosis
- Oral cancer screenings could save your life
Oral Cancer Screenings
Getting screened for oral cancer is one of the simplest procedures you can have done at our Marietta dentist office. An easy, quick and virtually pain free screening, your dentist can check you for oral cancer often without you even noticing he has! Getting screened at least twice a year can allow for early diagnosis for effective treatment. Dr. Hildreth or Dr. Mulkey will provide a thorough oral screening at each of your six month dental checkups.
In Between visits it is advised that you stay aware of any changes in your oral health. If you notice red or white patches, thickening of the oral tissue, a change in the fit of your dentures, a feeling of something stuck in your throat or open sores, be sure to contact our office as soon as possible. These symptoms could be signs of many oral health concerns, but should be examined if they persist.
Schedule An Appointment
Call Lost Mountain Dental today to start your journey towards better oral health. Our compassionate and highly trained dental care team can help answer your questions. We look forward to treating you!